The Pink Unicorn
April 5 - 21
Written by Elise Forier Edie
Directed by Michael Robins
In this award-winning solo piece, Ivey Award-winning Kate Guentzel plays Trisha, a Christian widow, who must choose sides in her conservative Texas town after her teenage daughter announces she is "gender queer" and starts a chapter of the Gay Straight Alliance at the local high school. With sharp wit and humor, this rich and poetic story explores what it means to be a parent and a community in these changing times.
Inspired by personal events experienced by the playwright, Elise Forier Edie, the “powerful message of this brilliantly wise and inspiring work” (NY Theater Now) has touched audiences across the United States and Canada. After witnessing gay people being shunned and excluded from a local school and church, Edie explained that she began writing The Pink Unicorn “in an effort to deal with my anger and fear around these incidents.
What were these people so afraid of? Why would they twist logic and defy reason and even hurt their own children to keep the harmless LGBTQ community from coming out, and enjoying the rights of every other American? And what could I do about it? How could I change it?
How could I make a difference?”
This is the story of this Mom standing up and becoming an advocate for her daughter against the Church, the School, her own Mother, and all
kinds of hate speech. It’s about what a Mom will do for her kids.
• Thursday, April 05, 2018 7:30 PM (preview performance)
• Friday, April 06, 2018 7:30 PM
• Saturday, April 07, 2018 1:00 PM & 7:30 PM
• Thursday, April 12, 2018 7:30 PM
• Friday, April 13, 2018 7:30 PM
• Saturday, April 14, 2018 7:30 PM
• Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:00 PM (Audio Described Show)
• Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:00 AM
• Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:30 PM
• Friday, April 20, 2018 7:30 PM
• Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:30 PM (ASL Interpreted Show)